Millions of people use Vaseline on a daily basis, to treat skin issues, chapped lips, or congestion. However, apparently, this product is not as beneficial as we thought.
Vaseline, or Petroleum jelly, is a byproduct of the oil refining process, meaning that it is not eco-friendly, and is an unsustainable resource. It was originally discovered in the mid-1800’s, coating the bottom of oil rigs.
It is commonly added to various products, from lotions to baby products, as it creates a protective barrier on the skin which will preserve its moisture, by blocking pores.
Yet, it also locks bacteria, dirt, heat, and the ability of the skin to heal.
Here are 4 more reasons to stop using Vaseline:
- It causes Estrogen Dominance
Estrogen dominance is a result of the high estrogen, and low progesterone levels. It has been related to menstrual issues, autoimmune issues, allergies, and infertility. The xenoestrogens in Vaseline are known to increase estrogen problems.
- It Contains Harmful Hydrocarbons
Since the skin cannot metabolize petroleum jelly, it remains there until it wears off, preventing the body to gain any benefits from the substance.
Moreover, according to the findings of a 2011 study, Vaseline contains the mineral oil hydrocarbons which are “the greatest contaminant of the human body.”
- It Promotes Collagen Breakdown
Since it blocks the skin, it cannot breathe and absorb nutrients, and this causes collagen breakdown.
- It Leads to Pneumonia
In some rare cases, the inhalation of small amounts of petroleum jelly accumulate in the lungs and cause a condition known as lipid pneumonia. The body is not able to metabolize or break down the substance, so it causes a severe lung inflammation.
However, there are effective natural alternatives to petroleum jelly, as follows:
- Beeswax – You can add it to your homemade beauty products and nourish and soften your skin.
- Coconut Oil – Tit has a myriad of health benefits and is a rich source of fatty acids, lauric acid and anti-inflammatory compounds, which support skin health.
- Cocoa Butter – It is high in antioxidants and beneficial fatty acids, and rejuvenates the skin, and slows down the aging process.
- Shea Better – It is abundant in Vitamins A, E and F, and beneficial fatty acids, which boost the production of collagen and treats inflammation.